Kush Audio - UBK Fatso
The FATSO Just Got Fatter!
Have you already heard of the mind-blowingly fat and warm sounds you can pull out of the Empirical Labs FATSO? It's like taking your sound straight out of the digital world and putting it back in that round and full analog domain. And because of that, the FATSO has been a studio mainstay for years. In fact, the folks over at KuSh Audio loved theirs so much, they thought it'd be fun to find a way to tweak it to add even more features to their already-favorite character compressor. Meet the UBK FATSO.
The goal behind the UBK FATSO was this: find a way to create a collection of fixed-setting compressors that could all around just get the job done, no matter the source. Beyond that, each preset compressor had to have its own distinct flavor and vibe so engineers would have the right palette of colors and "grab" at the ready, no matter what challenges a session presented. They succeeded.
In addition to all the tone-sweetening characteristics you'll find on the classic FATSO (which is at the heart of this hot-rodded version), the UBK FATSO add three brand-new presents, meticulously crafted and tuned by ear. You've got "Splat," an API console-inspired compression setting that can enhance anything but really takes vocals and electric guitars to a thick, creamy edge when you dig into it.
Up next is the "Smooth" setting - essentially classic limiting with a special twist. The goal was to make a "tracking-style" limiter that helped you, the engineer, shave around 6-10dB off the peaks, without sounding like too much happened - just an all-around sweetness and better-behaving tracks. With your tracks through this setting, you'll find you need less EQ and compression; things just fit. But go on and abuse the setting to more-than-pleasant musical results.
Finally, there's the "Glue" setting. Put any earth-shakingly low source through this setting, and you won't believe it. The bass locks into place. It sounds clean, clear, and loud without getting in the way of the rest of your mix. Your bass, in a word, is "glue." It just sticks right where it needs to be. Of course, you'll be happy with it on a bunch of other instruments.
If you're looking for the ultimate in warmth, roundness, and unbelievably musical compression - the UBK FATSO is your pick. It has all the best qualities of the FATSO, with an extra dose of perfectly tuned "squeeze" to help your tracks really stand out.
KuSh Audio UBK FATSO 2-channel Analog Tape Simulator Features at a Glance:
- Offers the same design as the Empirical Labs FATSO, with six new preset compression curves designed by UBK (with the blessing of Dave Derr of Empirical Labs)
- Modes are "Splat," "Smooth," and "Glue"
- Soft clip features modeled after broadband tape saturation. Smooth clipping up to 20% THD
- User programmable high frequency saturation
- Switchable transformer circuits, which can add the musical artifacts generated by classic devices like NEVE, API, etc.
- Four compression modes - One for tracking, one general purpose, one "bus" compressor, and SPANK (see below). All LINKABLE!
- SPANK! - An additional limiter that musically smashes the dynamic range, and can be used to stop clipping before digital recorders
- Huge "DISTRESSOR" knobs with high resolution numbering
- Distortion indicator lights - A 0 VU LED and a "Pinned" (5%) LED
- Sidechain output and input for EQ-ing control signals.
- Locked, calibrated, output level - allows speed in setting tape and live mix levels.
- Foolproof operation - it's almost impossible to get a bad sound
- Discrete and integrated combination - the best of speed/linearity with repeatability. Hand tested & selected components
- Switchable 110/220 volt operation
- True bypass
STL Pro Audio are an authorized Kush Audio Dealer. Your item will ship with full manufactures warranty.
Customers also viewed