The Warm Audio WA76 Discrete Fet Compressor - Now available at STL Pro Audio!
The WA76 is a fantatsic way to get in the world of real hardware! With a true Fet76 circuit you can't even build clones for this price. It really does have the 1176 magic so don't hesitate grab one and get that 1176 magic on your recordings as early as tomorrow - we ship overnight!
From Warm Audio:
The WA76 Limiting Amplifier is a modern reproduction of the Classic 1176 Revision D. Every effort was made to remain faithful to the original designs including the use of Reichenbach Engineering’s (now CineMag) transformer design that was originally used. The classic 1176 was a major breakthrough in limiter technology — the first true peak limiter with all transistor circuitry offering superior performance with a signature sound — and set the standard for all limiters to follow. The ultra-fast attack time and trademark sound have lured legendary artists and studio moguls alike to the 1176 — Peter Frampton, Joe Satriani, Joe Chiccarelli, Vance Powell, and Mike Elizondo are just a few names on a list that’s continued to grow, for nearly 50 years.
We're asked often how Warm Audio is able to produce such high quality gear at affordable prices. Many assume we must be cutting corners on the designs themselves but my answer to this question continues to be “NO”. Warm Audio stays true to original discrete schematics and does this without cheapening components such as our continued use of world class Reichenbach/CineMag transformers.
* True to the Classic 1176 compressor in design and performance
* Completely discrete signal path
* Modeled after the D revision
* Utilizes USA made CINEMAG input and output transformers
* Supports the famous “all buttons in” ratio setting
* Ultra fast attack time
* Class A line level output amplifier
* Input impedance - 600 ohms, bridges-T control (floating)
* Frequency Response ± 1 dB 20 Hz to 20kHz
* XLR and TRS inputs. XLR and TRS outputs
* 55db of gain
* Less than 0.4% total harmonic distortion from 50 Hz to 20 kHz with limiting
* Signal to noise ratio is greater than 74 dB at +25 dBm
* EIN -104.1 dbm
* Attack time, 20 microseconds to 800 microseconds
* Release time, 50 milliseconds to 1 second
* Meter provides dB gain reduction and dB output
* Internal power supply, external 24v AC power transformer
* 19" Rackmount chassis, 2U
* 1-year warranty
See the Warm Audio site for more details HERE.
The waves 1176 plugin is one of my favourite compressors, so I thought I would try an affordable hardware equivalent. So glad I did. This thing rocks. It is my first time with outboard gear and it adds a smooth warmth to vocal recordings. Highly recommended. What to get next maybe the 2A?
I recently purchased this product from STL and have had time to put it thru its paces...I find it to be something of a bargain, giving beautiful, transparent compression,, which I love on bass and vocals especially. It just does what it should, nothing more, nothing less, but it does it very very well. I'm very happy with the unit and might even buy a second for all my stereo applications! Well done to Warm Audio for making a stellar product at a great price, and to STL for handling my order! Regards, Neon.