Heritage Audio HA73EQX2 ELITE - Dual Channel Mic Preamp with EQ
Heritage Audio's value-packed Elite series leverages the expertise gleaned from years of making acclaimed vintage-inspired equipment. For the HA73EQ Elite, Heritage Audio set its target high: their own widely respected, hand-wired HA73jr and DMA73 preamps — themselves based on the most iconic vintage console preamp/EQ module in history, the 1073. You might ask how Heritage can offer the same world-class sound and performance at such a budget-friendly price. Through economies of scale, mostly. They don't cut corners on components (the HA73EQ Elite employs genuine Carnhill input and output transformers), but they do order parts and build in quantity, using lean manufacturing and modern construction techniques, in the same Spanish factory as the rest of their line.
The mother of all preamps
The Heritage Audio HA73EQX2 Elite preamp/EQ packs your rack with a potent dose of vintage vibe. It's based on the iconic 1073, amplifying any microphone or instrument with vibrant clarity and punch. Drive the input harder to get rich, saturated sound like you would on a vintage console. With 80dB of gain, you've got a preamp that's ready to bring out the best in any microphone — condenser, dynamic, or ribbon. Trust us: it's really difficult to make this thing sound bad!
The holy grail of EQ
The EQ section of the HA73EQX2 Elite adheres to the classic 1073 circuit topology. The vintage 1073 is the holy grail of EQ, and the Heritage Audio 73EQ JR nails its sonics and behavior (complete with its fabled harmonic distortion). It's a three-band affair, with ±16dB of fixed HF shelving; ±18dB of fixed-Q midband peaking with selectable center frequencies at 360Hz, 700Hz, 1.6kHz, 3.2kHz, 4.8kHz, and 7.2kHz; and ±16dB of LF shelving, selectable at 35Hz, 60Hz, 110Hz, and 220Hz. A highpass filter, selectable at 50Hz, 80Hz, 160Hz, and 300Hz, lets you trim your signals of unwanted low end. If you've never worked with a 1073-style EQ before, all we can say is: you're in for a serious treat.
Add rich transformer saturation to any source
The Heritage Audio HA73EQ has Carnhill input and output transformers, ready to add warmth, girth, and authority to any sound source — mic, line, or even DI instruments. The DI circuit is ahead of the mic input transformer, perfect for adding some hair to DI bass signals on the way in. The HA73EQ has separate input and output gain controls, so you can crank the input to get more transformer color, without overloading the output stage.
Heritage Audio HA73EQX2 Elite Mic Preamp Features:
- Fully discrete, 3-stage Class A mic preamp with 80dB of gain
- Industry standard Carnhill transformers hand-wound in St Ives, England
- Separate input and output gain controls let you drive the input for saturation without overloading the output
- Line input on separate XLR for adding warmth and girth to pre-recorded tracks
- 20dB PAD on the mic input to avoid overloading the input transformer when desired
- LOZ switches the input impedance of the mic transformer from 200 to 50 ohms
- 80Hz highpass filter; +48V phantom power; polarity reverse
- Ultra-high-impedance JFET-based DI input
- Fully discrete classic 3-band EQ with vintage-correct inductors
- High-frequency shelf at 12kHz
- Mid-band selectable between 6 frequencies and OFF
- Low-frequency shelf selectable between 4 frequencies and OFF
- Inductor-based highpass filter, frequency selectable between 4 frequencies and OFF
- Rugged 19" 1RU format chassis
- External universal power supply for worldwide use
STL Pro Audio is the exclusive distributor for Heritage Audio in NZ. All products in full 12 months manufacture warranty.